The pre-wrap inspection is coming up and we are scrambling around trying to get ready for it, because once it’s done we can seal the outside of our house and get it rain/hail/snow/apocalypse ready. That’s important because last week we had a little scare. I had to go off for work and Mike was just getting home from work and the weather report said rain, and the clouds in the sky said rain and wouldn’t you guess it, the freaking rain coming down said rain…and ironically the day before was sunny and the day after was sunny but for freak’s sake today was rainy.
We also had an inspection we weren’t 100% ready for.
I kissed Mike goodbye and wished I could stay and help…I even posted on Facebook asking people to come give him a hand (it got two likes but no comments…). And Mike put tarps and the leftover 10 mil visqueen from our slab (guess we aren’t selling the leftovers on CL) over the entire roof – in the rain. He said the rains stopped just as he finished. Nice. I wish I could show you pictures but apparently Mike wasn’t able to take any.
For the most part everything looks ok, I can’t see any rain damage. But it did remind us of how close we are to rainy weather and how far we are from being ready to weather it.
This past weekend my dad came out and helped us put in a few windows and an old friend helped Mike do some plumbing. Monday, while Mike was at work and before I picked the kids up from school I finished putting in the “fill” pieces of OSB around the rest of the windows and exterior doors. On Tuesday we finished putting in all the windows and the balcony door. On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday we finished putting most of the vents through the roof and boxing in most of the eaves. And while I was at work Friday afternoon Mike rebuilt the roof on our patio that we had to demo to add the second floor trusses.
The roofer is coming on Tuesday to paper the roofs. Oh, did I mention we are using one of our 3 get out of jail cards for a roofer? Yes we are. The roof is something that we could do ourselves. However, it isn’t that much more to just hire it out and with the scare earlier it didn’t take much convincing to tell M he needed to get someone else to help. Coincidentally, our neighbors up the street had gotten some wind damage from the Santa Ana winds last week (again, another reason why we want this thing sealed) and the roofer dropped his card off. M (I swear, he knows everyone in Awesometown), knew him and we got the bro deal.
And that is basically where we are at.
The list of things we need to do before our inspection:
2 or 3 more bathroom vents
1 more furnace vent
The electrical outlets/light fixtures for the exterior walls/soffit (balcony light, porch lights, garage lights and flood light on the side yard by the trailer)
Boxing in the eaves on the old gable and back gable
Install the front door
Plumb the hose bib to the balcony
Knock down 6″ of plaster from the old wall on the side yard leaving the lath and paper
Something else I forgot.
Not too shabby. I’m thinking that list could be knocked out in under 2 days.
Sorry about the lack of pics, maybe later I will only post pictures.